Application Server and KDC share some information like Service Tktkey?

Surendra Babu A surendra.a at samsung.com
Thu Dec 29 00:29:04 EST 2005

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

1. Windows Exchange server (SMTP server running with that) can be used for
Kerberos Server Authentication?

2. I could not get proper response from the SMTP server when I sedn the
service tkt+authenitcator information to the SMTP server.

Let me tell you clearly.

I am using Microsoft 2000 exchange server. It has SMTP service. I am able to
to do User Authentication but not Server Authentication.

For Server Authentication, I am sending the SMTP service tkt + Authe
nticator information to the SMTP server. The SMTP server is sedning the
response. But myKDC is not able to decode the response.

That means, some thing to be done (keytab file generation/etc) to be at done
at SMTP server side???

Please let me know your thoughts.

Happy Christmas.

Regards,
-Surendra

> I am using Microsoft 2000 exchange server. It has SMTP service. I am able
> to do User Authentication but not Server Authentication.
>
> For Server Authentication, I am sending the SMTP service tkt + Authe
> nticator information to the SMTP server. The SMTP server is sedning the
> response. But myKDC is not able to decode the response.
>
> That means, some thing to be done (keytab file generation/etc) to be at
done
> at SMTP server side???
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Happy Christmas.
>
> Regards,
> -Surendra

Service
> Tktkey?
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > An Exchange server does not include KDC functionality. An Exchange
server
> > will never issue a ticket. A Windows 2000 or 2003 Domain Controller does
> > include KDC functionality.
> >
> > No version of Exchange server support Kerberos authentication when using
> > either POP3 or IMAP protocols. Exchange only offers Kerberos support
when
> > using the MAPI interfaces. This means that Exchange will only support
> > Kerberos authentication for Outlook clients (within the same Windows
> domain)
> > and OWA.
> >
> > Microsoft's SMTP support within Exchange doesn't support Kerberos the
last
> > time I looked.
> >
> > What SMTP server are you using and has it been compiled with Kerberos
> > support? If it has not been compiled with Kerberos support creating a
> keytab
> > for the server will not do any good.
> >
> > Paul

Behalf