kinit uses libdefaults in krb5.conf instead of appdefaults

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 22 17:13:43 EST 2005

"Nate Yocom" <nate.yocom at centrify.com> writes:

> In looking at things, and a quick browse of the code, the [appdefaults]
> section of krb5.conf is never used by kinit and the other 'built in'
> tools - instead they use [libdefaults].  I'm just wondering as to the
> thinking here, should kinit (as an application) use appdefaults? Or does
> "application" in this sense mean 'third party'?

*Everything* uses libdefaults.  Ideally, IMO, kinit and the like should
take their defaults from libdefaults and then override those with
appdefaults settings, if present.  We have some local patches at Stanford
to do that, but it looks like the profile parser is going to be rewritten
and I'm holding off a little on trying to beat those patches into place
until I see if the profile API changes (since we had to change it in order
to do some things properly).