kinit locking up

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Mon Dec 12 13:52:53 EST 2005

Jon DeVree wrote:
>  I noticed that my UltraSPARC box fails differently from the x86
>  boxes. While the failure still happens under the same circumstances
>  the UltraSPARC box gives an error message instead of locking up:
>
>  kinit(v5): Invalid argument when initializing cache
>
>  Like the x86 boxes if I already have a ticket or specifiy the
>  principal name on the command line it works.

On the UltraSPARC, I assume you are running Solaris. In which case
you may be getting the Solaris 'kinit' in your path before the
MIT 'kinit'.   Solaris Kerberos looks for configuration files
in /etc/krb5/ where as MIT defaults to just putting them under /etc/
That is probably why it is failing to initialize - the Solaris
'kinit' is not finding the correct configuration file.  Ditto for
'ssh'.

2 Possible workarounds:
 - create softlinks from /etc/krb5/krb5.conf -> /etc/krb5.conf
 OR
 - make sure the MIT 'kinit' is in your path before the Solaris 'kinit'.

If you are running Solaris 10 you really don't need to install
MIT Kerberos, the system already has all of the Kerberos pieces
delivered and installed by default.  Try removing the MIT tools
and just use the Solaris default clients and see how that goes.

-Wyllys