Clarifications sought on Kerberos SA: TGS_REQ and Server Auth??

Surendra Babu A surendra.a at samsung.com
Wed Dec 7 07:33:37 EST 2005

Dear Team,

Thanks a lot for the response.

Issue#1. Regarding Hostname in Server Pricipal:
So it is better to use the hostname in the prinicpal. So for Server Authentication, HOst name should be known. Right?

Without knowing the Hostname, it is diffifcult to resolve the Server Authentication. Right?

Additionally, Application Server side, should we configure the KDC server IP address? I think It is not required. Because we are alreadys ending the Server Pricipal in TGS-REQ. Right?

Conclusion: To enjoy the benefit of Server Authentication of Kerberos, User should enter the Hostname of Applciation Server. Right?

Issue#2: Regarding GSSAPI.
My assumption is, if ESMTP supports Kerberos, then it will give AUTH GSSAPI response for the EHLO command. So I am sending the Servcie Ticket from our esmtp client. Is it right?

Let me expalin clearly:
- AS_REQ and AS_REP happend and User Authentication is done successfully.
- TGS_REQ and TGD_REP is happend with Kerberos client and KDC. So Service tkt is at kdc client side.

- Now we initiated the email operation from  Multi Funtion Printer. It contacted the ESMTP server from ESMTP client.
- Sent the EHLO command. ESMTP Server Gave me the AUTH GSSAPI response. So Kerberos is supported at server sid. Right??
- After seeing this GSSAPI string, sending the Service ticket to ESMTP server.

Is it correct? We are assuming that, GSSPAI is supported means, Kerberos is supported. Is it right?

Could you please explain about the Application Server transactions??? How to communicate with GSSAPI?

Thank you,
-Surendra