Mail.app with multiple accounts using Kerberos

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 26 13:49:44 EDT 2005

    Jeffrey> John Rudd wrote:
    >> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >>> The reality is that in the current day you either need to use
    >>> cross-realm or your applications have to maintain knowledge of
    >>> which principal should be used to access the given resource.
    >>>
    >>> This is a non-trivial problem.
    >>

    >> That seems almost like an "over-engineered" type response.
    >>
    >> What is wrong with making the application maintain that
    >> knowledge?

    Jeffrey> There is nothing wrong with having a mail application
    Jeffrey> that already stores large quantities of information about
    Jeffrey> the connection types, authentication methods, mailbox
    Jeffrey> configuration, etc. from keeping track of a Kerberos
    Jeffrey> client principal.

Note that we have been having a series of meetings to try and
determine our direction with regard to supporting these features.  It
seems fairly clear that we will end up making it easier for
applications that want to specify a specific client principal to do
so.  We are also working on solving the more general problems Jeff
describes.