Cannot start the krb5kdc

Sensei senseiwa at tin.it
Tue Aug 9 05:13:53 EDT 2005

On 2005-08-05 05:44:09 +0200, daniel.savard at gmail.com (Daniel Savard) said:

> 2005/8/4, Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>:
>> On 2005-07-31 19:28:10 +0200, daniel.savard at gmail.com (Daniel Savard) said:
>>
> (...)
>>

>> If I remember right, those databases should be compatible. But, check
>> it with kdb5_util from the command line.
>>

> # kdb5_util dump
> kdb5_util: Invalid argument while setting active database to
> '/etc/krb5kdc/principal'
>
> ;-(

D'oh.

>> Check the kdc.conf again and be sure the database works with the tools
>> provided by kerberos. Also, be sure all the principals exist in the db,
>> like K/M at CIDS.CA and so on.
>>

> Well, since I don't have access with the tools, a strings principal
> gave me some output where I can see all principals I know seems to be
> there.
>
>> --
>> Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>
>>

> Can a crash being responsible for some lock files or something like
> that which prevent proper access to the database?
>
> Or, is Kerberos using a library to parse arguments that can be bogus
> on my system? How can I check that? Since the message doesn't say
> anything about the arguments used.

Well, everything is possible. Something that you can do is trying to
re-emerge mitkrb5 (or whatever portage calls it), setting in make.conf
a lower optimization. Be aware that -O3 can cause some library
corruption (java used to fail with -O3 as an example). Check also your
USE= directive and in the forums, maybe someone in gentoo had your
problem.

If everything fails, and even from the original sources (mit website),
then I'd first try with many other options in kdb5_util (verbose, old
formats, ...) and maybe backup the database and recreate a new one.
Pray is the library and not your db to be in bad shape...

Hope you'll solve it.

--
Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>

cd /pub