Cannot start the krb5kdc

Sensei senseiwa at tin.it
Thu Aug 4 09:57:28 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-31 19:28:10 +0200, daniel.savard at gmail.com (Daniel Savard) said:

> I think I sent it directly to sensei instead to the list. I apologize.
>
> Also, I am running mit-kerberos version 1.4.1. I think previous
> version was 1.3.6. I just read I was supposed to backup my database
> before upgrading and the Gentoo procedure didn't take this into
> account. So, I guest the database is not in a proper format for 1.4.1.
> Is there a way to recover this kind of error? Any tool to perform the
> conversion?

If I remember right, those databases should be compatible. But, check
it with kdb5_util from the command line.

> Here is my krb5.conf:
>
> [libdefaults]
>         ticket_lifetime = 600
>         default_realm = CIDS.CA
>         default_tkt_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
>         default_tgs_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
>
> [realms]
>         CIDS.CA = {
>         kdc = kerberos.cids.ca:88
>         kdc = kerberos-1.cids.ca:88
>         admin_server = kerberos.cids.ca:749
>         }
>
> [domain_realm]
>         .cids.ca = CIDS.CA
>         cids.ca = CIDS.CA
>
> [kdc]
>         profile = /etc/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

Why? There's no [kdc] section in krb5.conf --- check it with

man krb5.conf

if they've changed the sections in gentoo.

[kdcdefaults]
>         kdc_ports = 88,750
>
> [realms]
>         CIDS.CA = {
>         database_name = /etc/krb5kdc/principal
>         admin_keytab = /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab
>         acl_file = /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl
>         key_stash_file = /etc/krb5kdc/.k5.CIDS.CA
>         dict_file = /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.dict
>         kadmind_port = 749
>         max_life = 10h 0m 0s
>         max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s
>         master_key_type = des3-hmac-sha1
>         supported_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1:normal des-cbc-crc:normal
>         }

Seems ok.

> And as you can see, my database is in /etc/krb5kdc/principal. All the
> files exists, except the dict_file, which is no harm I think. Anyway,
> even if I removed this stanza it doesn't change anything.

Create it or remove the entry. In the man page, I don't see the default
behavior if no dictionary exists.

> When trying to startup the KDC, I am getting the messages already
> mentionned in my previous post. Not much more details than that.
> Unless you can told me a way to increase debugging level.

Check the kdc.conf again and be sure the database works with the tools
provided by kerberos. Also, be sure all the principals exist in the db,
like K/M at CIDS.CA and so on.

--
Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>

cd /pub