Problem building an API program against 1.4.1

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Aug 1 16:49:00 EDT 2005

>> Hm.  I think we have a problem here.  Certainly MIT's krb5-config emits
>> -R options (on the appropriate platform), and the autoconf glue that
>> I've written assumes that it does.  I was under the impression that gcc
>> (at least on Solaris) passes -R options to ld unmolested (I just tested
>> that, and that's true on Solaris).
>
>gcc attempts to do the right thing with -R on platforms that support it,
>but may not recognize the flag on platforms that don't use -R or have some
>other shared library path mechanism.

Presumably krb5-config won't output -R on platforms if the compiler
doesn't understand it, right?  I'm just saying that I've never noticed
this to be a problem in practice (although judging by what I've seen
in people's krb5-config scripts, I appear to be the ONLY one who actually
uses them for their intended purpose :-/).

--Ken