Kerberos ticket access to MS Exchange

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Aug 1 14:34:00 EDT 2005

>something that will eventually not work anyway.  The funny thing is, if you
>are going to store passwords on your Microsoft AD server acting as a KDC,
>then what is the point of having a KDC in the first place...in terms of
>Microsoft authentication?  This is why I say that Microsoft uses Kerberos
>just to appease the 'nix natives.  It certainly has little use in their own
>products.

To be fair to Microsoft ... they do seem to use Kerberos in a number of
places.  E.g., their instant messaging protocol is Kerberized (I verified
that with a network sniffer).  From my conversations with Microsoft people,
the reason Exchange doesn't do GSSAPI-authenticate IMAP really seems to
be more tied up in lack of interest in the Exchange group (for what
reason, I dunno).

--Ken