default encryption types

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Fri Apr 22 13:42:22 EDT 2005

I do have a setup with two kdcs ( A windows and non-windows kdc ). I'd like to
use the highest encryption type  available. The krb5.conf on my client looks like:

[libdefaults]
    default_realm = W2K3.COM
    default_tkt_enctypes = des3-cbc-sha1 rc4-hmac des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
    default_tgs_enctypes = des3-cbc-sha1 rc4-hmac des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc

[realms]
    W2K3.COM = {
        kdc = kdc.w2k3.com:88
        kpasswd_server = kdc.w2k3.com:464
    }
    MIT.COM = {
        kdc = kdc.mit.com:88
        kpasswd_server = kdc.mit.com:464
    }
[domain_realm]
    .mit.com = MIT.COM
    .w2k3.com = W2K3.COM

A kinit user at W2K3.COM gives the following error:
kinit(v5): KDC has no support for encryption type while getting initial credentials

It works the other way round e.g.
   default_tkt_enctypes = rc4-hmac des3-cbc-sha1 des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
   default_tgs_enctypes = rc4-hmac des3-cbc-sha1 des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc

kinit user at MIT.COM gives no error and I get a tgt.

I know that MS doesn't support 3DES, but I thought if I give a list it will use
the next highest supported encryption type. Is this a buf in MS or does the
standard allow this behaviour ?

Thanks
Markus