Novice: rsh computer date -> Permission denied. rsh: connection failed

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 8 16:59:01 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 10:17, clusardi2k at aol.com wrote:
>   I have to be able to remotely execute a command from a SGI computer.
> The man page tells me that I'm using the Kerberos version of rsh.
>
>   On the remote (Red Hat Linux) host, I created a ~/.k5login file with
> the line:
>
>     clusardi at ONYX3900
>
>   I have an account on both machines called clusardi.
>
> On Onyx3900, this is what I do:
>
> %rsh remote_computer date
> Permission denied.
> rsh: connection failed
>
> Can you tell me specifcally what I need to do to get it to work?

If you've got Kerberos set up at your site, you should be putting
something like "clusardi@<realmname>" in your .k5login file, or just
don't create one.  You'll need to get Kerberos tickets too (run kinit,
unless the login sequence gets you tickets automatically), and the
server will need to be set up with a Kerberos key file.

If you're not actually using Kerberos, and don't want to, the Kerberos
rsh command you're using -- if it's similar enough to the one MIT ships
-- is probably trying Kerberos, reporting a failure, and then falling
back to run the traditional Kerberos program.  If it's not, look for a
program with a name like "rsh.ucb" or maybe "rsh" in a different
directory, or check the man page for rsh for an option to turn off the
use of Kerberos.  You'll also need to make sure the non-Kerberos rsh
server is running on the remote computer; it may be disabled by
default, since it's not a very safe thing to enable in many
environments.  If you use this approach, then .rhosts, not .k5login, is
the file you should be creating, and it should use the hostname as you
have done.

Ken