AIX 5.1 and Network Authentication Service 1.3

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Fri Apr 1 12:55:13 EST 2005

I have MIT Kerberos 1.4 KDC on a Linux (Fedora Core 3) server.  The
server works with Linux, Windows, and open LDAP.  I am trying to get an
RS/6000 running AIX 5.1 with IBM's kerberos client (Network
Authentication Service 1.3) to work with the KDC on Linux.

I ran mkkrb5clnt -c eightoften.mines.edu -r MINES.EDU -s
eightoften.mines.edu -d mines.edu -i files -K -T on the RS/6000.  The
/etc/krb5/krb5.conf and /usr/lib/sec /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg files
look fine.  I can use kinit, and kadmin.  The problem is I cannot log
in.

The only user that can log is is root, all other users get '3004-007 You
entered an invalid login name or password.'  There are no log entries in
/var/log/krb5/krb5kdc.log for the test user, suggesting that login is
not even trying to connect to the KDC.

The default stanza in /etc/security/user has SYSTEM set to "KRB5files OR
compat"  I have also tried to set the users SYSTEM parameter to
KRBfiles.

Any ideas?

thank you

Matt Brookover