Exporting applications that link to Kerberos

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Wed Sep 29 10:01:20 EDT 2004

While that is good to know, it's a non-starter for our situation.  It's
okay for our dev team to impose the restriction on ourselves to have a
certain build environment and set of libraries.  We're not willing,
though, to impose any such "environment preparation" before our game
will work.  It's simply not reasonable when we could just as easily
implement the "same system" using some custom token/password
mechanisms.  This is a just a game after all. :-)  The interest to use
Kerberos is more the coolness factor and the assurance of the protocol
security gives some of the devs warm fuzzies.

Now if we could redistribute the MIT Kerberos Windows Installer, it
would be easy enough to embed it's installation step into our
installer.  That said, it still wouldn't answer the question of
whether, for example, an statically linked binary on Mac OS X could be
distributed either.  Fortunately, the Macs have the Kerberos framework
already, so the question is more hypothetical (s/Mac OS X/some random
linux distro that doesn't have krb/ if that sits better) to any sort of
our app providing or linking to any binary krb.

Cheers!
Sean