Exporting applications that link to Kerberos

brlcad brlcad at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 23:32:12 EDT 2004

Some of the devs to a project I work on (a popular open source game)
spent some of the past week or two linking our registration system up
with Kerberos.  The game basically performs the necessary ticket init
behind the scenes against a specifically set kdc domain, gets those
tickets and passes them along to the game server(s) who then allow the
user access.  It all actually mostly works and is pretty nifty
conceptual proof that didn't take long.  That said -- now we're down to
the more practical and pedantic legal issues of whether we can actually
distribute the game if it links against Kerberos libraries due to
export restrictions.

I have read the Kerberos FAQ and see that this is mostly an issue "up
in the air" that should really be consulted with lawyers.
Unfortunately, our little distributed team of devs around the world
doesn't really have the ability to do that easily, much less with our
"budget".  So, of course, I'm hoping I can get some insight from you
kind folk that hear this question much more often than I do.

In our particular distribution situation, we're in the large class of
folks using the SourceForge file release system, utilizing sf's servers
for actual distribution.  I have no idea if sf's fleet of file servers
blocks any or all of the 7 or so export-restricted countries that are
often mentioned as the only problematic ones.  I can, of course, ping
sf support on the issue but the bigger question is whether or not it's
really an issue.

While we wouldn't be distributing Kerberos sources for sure, there is
the possibility that we would distribute, for example, dll's for the
Windows folk that don't have a useable Kerberos library.  Likewise we
may be linking statically or dynamically on other systems.  If any of
those are a problem, then it's a deal-breaker since we won't impose it
upon our users to "get the library on their own" as part of the
installation process.

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight into this issue.  We'd
love to move forward with this and even perhaps serve as an example to
other open source projects/games that involve some sort of runtime
registration system.  Thanks again.

Cheers!
Sean