differences between des3-cbc-sha1 and des3-cbc-md5

Ahluwalia, Ish iahluwalia at sonusnet.com
Mon Sep 13 19:02:26 EDT 2004

Hi All:

An encryption related question:

When we talk about des3-cbc-sha1 support - The way I understand it means support for des3-cbc encryption with CKSUMTYPE_HMAC_SHA1_DES3.  I hope my understanding is corrrect in terms of this.

Now, for "des3-cbc-md5" encryption - it means we again need support for des3-cbc encryption.  But what checksumtype needs to supoorted - Is it CKSUMTYPE_HMAC_MD5_DES3 or CKSUMTYPE_HMAC_MD5?

Essentially, I'm asking if if the process is same between the two ciphersuites, just that HASH algorithms are different?

Any help or any thoughts on this will be highly appreciated?

Thanks.

Ish...