Please help: Kerberos and web applications?

simon simon at austarnet.com.au
Sun Sep 12 11:24:52 EDT 2004

Hello

This is quite obviously a newbie question, and for a presentation I need
to give: I have a *theoretical* "web portal". The actual services
provided are not specified (accounting, if that tells you anything), and
I was under the impression that I could use Kerberos to authenticate
users from this web portal, as well as users on the server's network.

I've been reading up on this, but I'm unfamiliar with this sort of web
development, and am not sure if what I'm reading supports this... Is
this possible?

The implementation details aren't really relevent, this is a case study,
but I was assuming an application embedded into a webpage that
communicates with the Kerberos server, and then the ticket granting
server, etc, and transfers data. Is this correct?

A confirmation either way would be hugely appreciated. Thankie

Simon.