Kerberos Windows Client sign

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer at uncc.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:06:19 EDT 2004

At 01:30 PM 9/9/04, you wrote:
>The KFW kinit does not allow keyboard redirection.

[Rodney steps onto soap box]

Unfortunately, since in my little world view, there is no distinction
between levels of programming.  Scripting is just as valid a way to code as
calling libraries from C code.  The kinit program does not allow stdin
because someone made that executive decision at the developer level.  It is
not that way for any technical limitation.  However, this is somewhat odd
since the Sun version of "kinit" and the Solaris version of "kinit" that
ships with MIT Kerberos both allow reading from STDIN.

If you want to get your hands dirty and disobey the developers you can try
the hack to the KFW kinit.  See the section "Bug in MIT's version of
KINIT.EXE prevents reading passwords from stdin", in the document "The
Integration of Kerberos V5, AFS, and Windows XP using the AFSLogonShell"
here...

      http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/krblogon.htm

This described hack was for the 1.3.1 version of kinit.  I don't know if it
still works with the latest version.

Hack at your own risk.  I am not promoting this solution, however I do
think that it is a valid way to provide a short term method of
authentication.  You should be cautioned however to not directly echo the
password in a command line.  Instead you should use the technique described
in the section "Shouldn't use XP command shell ECHO for sending password to
KINIT.EXE" from the same document.

Rodney