1.3.4: kadmin tries to open log file R/W (II)

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 3 16:06:11 EDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 at 15:20 (-0400), Tom Yu wrote:

> Sam> OK, why was Mike seing different behavior with 1.2.8?
>
> The call to krb5_klog_init() isn't in 1.2.8.  It was added in 1.3.x
> because sometimes the server-side kadm5 library attempts to log things,
> and having the logging be uninitialized would cause coredumps.

OK, I guess my questions are all answered.  I would have assumed that the
issue was the shared code between kadmin and kadmin.local, were it not for
the fact that 1.2.7 and earlier releases didn't exhibit this behavior.

At least it is now confirmed that there was a change since 1.2.7 to
account for this.

Fortunately, the new error msg goes to STDERR while the interesting output
is written to STDOUT and, as it turns out, my scripts already route STDERR
to /dev/null.  (I depend on my own error checking).

Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Mike