Heimdal or MIT kerberos

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 4 10:18:35 EDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 01:40, Frank Cusack wrote:

> Heimdal does not have a functioning replay cache, so if your app
> needs that you must go with MIT.

> If heimdal is thread-safe, that's news to me.  You shouldn't care
> if the apps you plan to use are off the shelf (sounds that way).

MIT's use of a replay cache also leads to poorer performance of
application servers under very heavy load (but if you're not under
heavy load, do you care about that extra tiny fraction of a second
delay?).  I believe the replay cache may also be a contributor to MIT's
reported worse behavior in multithreaded servers; none of that code is
thread-safe, and we can spend quite a few cycles there.

I did some thread-safety work that's in the current snapshots, and it's
a goal of the next release.  Though testing to ensure thread safety is
difficult at best, and we don't run a lot of threaded Kerberos apps on
a day-to-day basis in the MIT Kerberos group.  (None of our programs
will use threads in the next release, it's just the libraries being
updated so that they can be used in applications that do use threads.)
So if anyone wants to test the snapshots and give feedback, help us
find problems, etc., and make the thread safety support more solid
before we ship it, please do!

Our next release will also have a mechanism to explicitly disable the
replay cache for an application, though we don't recommend it unless
it's known that the application protocol is protected against replays.
Actually, it's a little more complicated -- every application protocol
using the same service principal must be so protected, or use of one
service may provide data that can be used in a replay-like attack on
another.

Ken