How to Force a Kerb 4 Request

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 30 19:22:37 EST 2004

I just went back to a known-good krb5.conf from Jaguar;  stripped out
all the extraneous realm definitions;  added the dns_fallback = no
line; and retested.  I can now get kerberos 4 tickets on Panther from
an AFS kaserver.  Obviously I missed something.

I will note that the code *still* does a dns lookup.

> 15:43:30.892937 IP dhcp-149-196-226.jpl.nasa.gov.60962 >
> ns2.jpl.nasa.gov.domain:  37782+ SRV? _kerberos-iv._udp.JPL.NASA.GOV.
> (48)

I suppose it works because there is no Kerb 4 service record for Active
Directory.  I've had no end of testing trouble with AD hijacking my
attempts to use test servers with the real domain/REALM names.

Is there another fallback option that applies to Kerb 4?  Can I put
that option into a realm definition so I still do lookups for non-JPL
realms?

I really don't want to bother you folks too much about Kerberos 4.
Sorry.  Kerb 4 should die.  It's just that there's this little project
here that won't let me deploy Kerb 5 until after they land their probe
on Titan in January.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu