How to Force a Kerb 4 Request

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon red at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 23 16:32:47 EST 2004

From the kinit manpage in the most recent Debian version, which is 1.3.x:

OPTIONS
       -5     get Kerberos 5 tickets.  This overrides whatever the default
		built-in behavior may be.  This option may be used with -4

       -4     get  Kerberos 4 tickets.  This overrides whatever the default
		built-in behavior may be.  This option is only available if
		kinit was built with Kerberos 4 compatibility.  This option
		may be used with -5

I don't have a test server for Kerberos 4, but it works fine with my MIT
account.  Check your build for Kerberos 4 compatibility?

Best of luck,

-r.