Windows 2K Domain Controller with AD

Jonathan Stephens jonsteph at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 15 23:11:13 EST 2004

As the KDC for the Windows Domain? No. The MIT KDC would be unable to
build the Privilege Attribute Certificate information (SID, primary
group, domain group membership, etc) that the DC (or any network
service) would need in order to build the user's token. For this same
reason -- the need for a Windows principal of some kind -- that accounts
from a trusted MIT realm must be mapped to Windows principals. There has
to be something from which to build the token that LSASS can compare
against ACLs (and other things).

Please see this link for more details:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bestprac/authent.mspx.

The link you referenced describes how to set up a trust between an
existing Windows domain and an MIT Kerberos realm. See Section II, step
10, where it talks about the name mapping I referenced above.

 --JS

Jonathan Stephens
PSS Escalation Engineer
Microsoft Corp.

--

This information is provided as-is and without warranty of any kind.