W2k3 and Hotfix KB833708

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Fri Nov 12 19:21:21 EST 2004

The reason for the problem is that in 2003 (not sure if it is SP1) computer
accounts and only computer accounts
take the following salt:

1) For a principal host/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped
to testserver-host (meaning computer account name with sAMaccountname =
testserver-host$) the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhosttestserver-host.myrealm.com

2) For a principal HTTP/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped
to testserver-HTTP the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhosttestserver-http.myrealm.com   (lowercase of mapped account
name is used !)

3) For a principal root/admin at MYREALM.COM mapped to root-admin the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhostroot-admin.myrealm.com

Assuming the realm MYREAL.COM belongs to the windows domain myrealm.com.

w2k and user accounts in 2003 are unaffected.e.g.

A principal ftp/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped to
testserver-ftp has the salt:

MYREALM.COMftptestserver.mycountry.mydomian.com which is the output of
krb5_principal2salt

 Regards
 Markus

news:200411120027.iAC0RVsp022721 at au.padl.com...