Compiling MIT Kerberos 1.3.3...or should I say NOT compiling

Huey Brantley hpbrantley at brantleys.com
Wed May 5 09:00:27 EDT 2004

For starters, I've only experimented with Linux through the years.

A little history.  I'm trying to get Linux into my corporate Windows
2003 ADS tree. I can join ADS and have successfully shared directories
to my ADS groups.  Experiments have been somewhat successful but I have
trouble repeating the process.  I say its somewhat successful because
authentication is sporadic at best. I think I've narrowed it down to
multiple versions of Kerberos. One version is installed at O/S load
time, 1.2.7 (/usr/kerberos) and one I'm trying to upgrade to (/usr/local
- in the MIT binaries).

I'm trying to compile Kerberos 1.3.3 to /usr/kerberos with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/kerberos
make

Its failing with the make command. I should point out that it fails with
the make command even if I do not specify the --prefix.

The last few lines are:
tcl_ovsec_kadm.c:1982: `interp' undeclared (first use in this function)
tcl_ovsec_kadm.c:1983: `TCL_GLOBAL_ONLY' undeclared (first use in this
function)tcl_ovsec_kadm.c:1996: warning: implicit declaration of function
`Tcl_CreateCommand'
make[3]: *** [tcl_ovsec_kadm.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/install-config/krb/krb5-1.3.3/src/kadmin/testing/util'
make[2]: *** [all-recurse] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/install-config/krb/krb5-1.3.3/src/kadmin/testing'
make[1]: *** [all-recurse] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/install-config/krb/krb5-1.3.3/src/kadmin'
make: *** [all-recurse] Error 1

Questions:

1) What harm is there with Kerberos residing in both places?

2) Can I install/update 1.3.3 to /usr/kerberos with this method? Ie.
compiling and overwriting?

Anyone with suggestions, I'm more than open.

BTW, I'm running WhiteBox Linux Enterprise 3.  Compiled from the RHEL3.

Please forgive the ramblings.

Thanks