authenticating to AD from linux login

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed May 5 10:45:08 EDT 2004

Check out this power point presentation from 1996 on Cross Realm
authentication. Its refering to interoperating with DCE which we don't
have any more, but the Kerberos concepts are still there.

 ftp://achilles.ctd.anl.gov/pub/DEE/dcesig4.ppt

melissa_benkyo wrote:

> I think I might have it figured out. It might not really be an ldap
> issue but a kerberos setup issue. Here is the scenario guys. I'm quite
> confused about domains/realms. I have 2 AD (lets say AD1 and AD2) I
> have a linux machine belonging to AD1. so it means I have linux.AD1.
> But I want to authenticate from linux using a user in AD2. So I
> created a keytab for linux machine on AD2. and I set up the
> [domain_realm] on the linux machine as so .AD1 = AD1, AD1 = AD1,
> .linux.AD1 = AD1, linux.AD1= AD1. I tried different combinations. I'm
> not sure what is the right approach. Do you think that I couldn't
> login any user local and AD2 users because it couldn't access the
> linux keytab? logs aren't showing anything useful.

SOunds like you are trying to put the host in two realms, where as you
don't need to do this if you use cross realm correctly.

Especially note slides 5, 6, 7 and 23.