authenticating to AD from linux login

melissa_benkyo wyl_lyf at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 11:38:20 EDT 2004

hello all,

I have a weird problem with authentication to active directory from my
linux box using kerberos. I'm using pam_krb5 to do the authentication
and looking up the uid/gid through ldap meaning I do not have an entry
in the /etc/passwd file.  I am able to see the entry from active
directory when I do a getent passwd but when I try to login. I
couldn't login and even the local users couldn't login. yikeS! that
would be a problem. hehehe :D

so any ideas? what could be the problem? I'm thinking in these
directions:
1) pam side: I think these are okay since if I add an entry in the
/etc/password to indicate to use kerberos then it will authenticate.
2) ldap side: more so this problem i would think. BUt I'm not sure
what exactly. is there any additional setup for ldap in pam.conf?
should I add pam_ldap? I modified the nsswitch.conf. what else does it
want from meeee? hehehe :D

well, any insight is much appreciated. thanks!