Is Kerberos manageable on large scale?

Richard Gundersen richardgundersen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:12:11 EST 2004

Hi

I am evaluating the suitability of Kerberos for a large scale implementation
(100's of users), where the apps will primarily be running on Java App
servers. I have MIT working in a test environment (Linux server, Windows
clients, custom Java apps) but I'm worried about how easy it is to manage
principles etc etc on a large scale.

Kadmin works fine at the current scale but in a real implementation I don't
want to have to use kadmin from the console to manage user. In fact this job
will be given to a userwho will certainly not want to start writing
scripts/SSH'ing to the server.

Ideally a web app front end would be written - but so far from the
documentation and books I've read, there's no easy way to communicate with
kadmin (I'm thinking a nice C or Java API here). Surely this must be
possible with one of the open source versions available.

Has anyone else tried this? Would really appreciate an answer even if it's
just a simple 'yes, it's possible'

Regards