Problem with cross-realm authentication (Kerberos Realm & Win2Kdomain)

Lara Adianto m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 09:13:20 EST 2004

I'm using Heimdal since I heard that MIT Kerberos is
not thread safe for my openldap. I hope that MIT
Kerberos experts don't mind to give me any hints since
I haven't got any reply from the Heimdal mailing list.
I believe that the basic mechanism should be similar
in both implementations.

Currently, the windows env consists of a single domain
only, but I might extend it to a forest or something
more complicated after this experiment.

I use 2 domains:
- LARA_HMD (Kerberos Realm)
- LARA_W2K (Win2K domain)
and user lara (using a w2k prof machine named
testw2k8) in LARA_HMD wants to access a computer named
test_w2kserver in LARA_W2K through network
neighborhood. The access seemed to be allowed (it can
access the files being shared by the computer), but
event logs the following error:

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Kerberos
Event Category: None