Problem with cross-realm authentication (Kerberos Realm & Win2K domain)

Lara Adianto m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 12:10:07 EST 2004

Hello,

I have a question about the cross-realm authentication (Kerberos Realm & Win2K)
My scenario is as follows:
a user using a Win2K professional machine authenticates to a Kerberos Realm. This user then wants to access resources in a Win2K domain. I believe that this is possible by configuring trust-relationship between the Kerberos Realm and Win2K domain which I have done following the guidance in Step by step Guide to Kerberos 5 Interoperability article.
.
However, when the user sends a TGS-REQ to the KDC in the Kerberos Realm for service located in Win2K domain, the Kerberos Realm returns KDC_ERR_S _PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN. After sniffing the packet using ethereal, I noticed that the client sent a TGS_REQ with the canonicalize bit not set. Based on my understanding from the 'Generating KDC Referrals to locate Kerberos realms' draft, the client should send a TGS_REQ with canonicalize bit set so that the KDC can returns a TGS_REP containing PA-SERVER-REFERRAL-INFO.

Does anybody have any idea how to solve this problem ?
Is there any other configuration (besides the following) that I should do in the client machine or in the KDC so that the windows client that authenticates to Kerberos realm can access win2k resources in other domain:
In KDC Kerberos Realm:
- ank -pw password krbtgt/NT_REALM.COM at KERB_REALM.COM
- ank -pw password krbtgt/KERB_REALM.COM at NT_REALM.COM
In Win2K domain:
- Add inter-realm keys in the Active Directory Domains and Trusts (Trusts tab)
- Create account mappings using the AltSecurityId property

Thanks,
Lara