Is Kerberos a good solution for web-single signon

Christopher Kranz clk at princeton.edu
Fri Mar 12 19:58:26 EST 2004

bisibis at pt.lu (paul b) wrote in message news:<1f716d42.0403090729.1755f1a at posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> I am currently developping a "web single signon"-system and I am
> thinking about using Kerberos for this propose

[snip]

> Perhaps someone can tell me if Kerberos is really a good solution for
> web-single signon(and fully transparent to end-users) or if there are
> more simple possiblities like for example installing a "reverse
> proxy"?

I was wondering the same thing.  In fact I started a simular thread a
little while ago.  The short answer is no, not really.  And the reason
is, HTTP is a stateless protocol.  You would need to generate a new
authenticator for each and every connection.  Kerberos kind of assumes
that once a session is started the connection is persistant.

See UWash's pubcookie (http://www.pubcookie.org/) or Stanford's
WebAuth (http://webauthv3.stanford.edu/) for examples of WebISO
solutions.

    Christopher Kranz