Docs on string-to-key routines?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 12 03:41:06 EST 2004

At 8:54 PM -0500 3/11/04, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>On Thursday, March 11, 2004 16:38:46 -0800 "Henry B. Hotz"
><hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>>Where is the "real" description of the string-to-key functions, V4, AFS,
>>and V5?
>AFS supports only the single-DES enctype.  The AFS string-to-key
>function is not documented; you'll have to read the source.
>
>All of these functions support input of essentially unlimited length.

Just looked at the OpenAFS code and some old KTH code.  The former
has a loop of some kind with no obvious limit (as you said).  The
latter uses a different algorithm for length <=8 from >8.  In the
latter case they have an array of size 512 which might imply a limit
of 511 characters.  That's big enough.

And yes, on reflection, I suppose a 256-bit AES key algorithm would
have to be more than trivially different from a 56-bit-plus-parity
DES key algorithm.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu