Compiling libpty.so?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 9 17:43:58 EST 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 9, 2004, at 17:30 US/Eastern, Digant Kasundra wrote:
> I have downloaded the latest kerberos and have configured using the
> --enable-shared and --enable-static options but the shared library
> libpty.so
> and libss.so are not being built.  It does make the static .a versions,
> however.  How do I get it to compile the shared version of this
> library?

This is because these libraries are used for a couple of the programs
we ship, but we don't want to give the impression that we're going to
support them for anyone else.  You'll also notice that the .a versions,
while they do get built, do not get installed.

I suppose, if someone really cared, we could build and install shared
versions that couldn't be linked against (i.e., the .so.1.2 files that
the run-time linker would look for, but not the .so versions that the
compiler tools would want), but it just doesn't seem that important....

Ken