Different Services, Different Realms, but One Host

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 9 12:31:30 EST 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 9, 2004, at 12:08 US/Eastern, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     ms419> Pardon this newbish question, but here's the setup: I want
>     ms419> to distribute the keys for one host among two
>     ms419> realms. Basically, I've got a sensitive service running on
>     ms419> a couple of hosts, and a less secure service running on the
>     ms419> same hosts. I want to store the keys for the sensitive
>     ms419> service in one realm, and the keys for the others in
>     ms419> another. Any problems with these premises?
>
> Yes.  Current Kerberos implementations assume a host belongs to one
> realm.  You'll find it difficult to actually do this.

Note that this is an implementation issue; the Kerberos protocol
specification itself says that a service may be registered in multiple
realms.  But there are also specifications which assume that the realm
name -- or *a* realm name, I guess -- can be determined from the
service name and host name through unspecified means.  As far as I
know, current implementations do that determination using the host name
only.

> I recommend having one KDC which is more secure than your most
> sensitive service.

This is probably best, if it can be arranged.

Ken