step by step guide for Windows 2003 Server and MIT Kerberostrust?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jun 10 14:56:22 EDT 2004

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> > The AD should know what types are acceptable to the SERVER and select one
> > of these which is in the list provided by the client, or ignore the client or fail.
>
> This is correct.
>
> >  I have seen cases where one has had to add a extra entry to the keytab file with
> > enctype for des-cbc-md5 even though there was a entry for des-cbc-crc.
> >
> > This may stem for the fact that AD stores a password and can generate a key for any
> > enctype from  it, where as MIT and Heimdal store the keys when added be kadmin
> > and might be different keys.
> >
> > It could also stem from  AD assuming DES is DES and if you have a key for
> > des-cbc-crc you have the key for des-cbc-md5. I don't think the  MIT or Heimdal
> > code if it fails to find a keytab entry for des-cbc-md5 will try and look for a des-cbc-crc
> > key. This only makes sense if you also assume the DES key would be the same. With AD
> > this is the case, with MIT or Heimdal it is not.
>
> This is exactly what is happening.  Active Directory contains a password
> and a set of string to key algorithms.  The Microsoft version of
> Kerberos will always generate keys on the fly.
>
> I will be interested to see what Microsoft chooses to do when they add
> new enctypes for AES.

Me too.  If they continue to derive keys from passwords, there  may not be
enough entropy in the new key to make it much better then a DES key. It might make a
guessing attack on AES as easy as on DES.

> > The point being that if you upgrade from 2000 to 2003 you may have to add additional
> > keytab entries.
> >
> > Another issue is that 2003 stores a KVNO and will return it rather then just 0 or 1
> > used be 2000. So you may need to add other keytab entries with the correct KVNO. .
>
> This is another reason why I like the cross-realm solution for managing
> non-Windows services.   Let Active Directory manage the Windows based
> services and an MIT KDC manage the non-Windows services.  Use
> cross-realm between the two to obtain the service tickets for the
> non-Windows services.

I agree. Most users are in the Windows domain, and most unix hosts are in an MIT domain.
But there are some services registered in Windws like AFS, KCA, and gssklog. So it was
not a big problem to add extra keytab entries for these few servivces.