FTP - GSSAPI Error acquiring credentials

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 8 17:45:12 EDT 2004

> Although my DNS is properly configured, I just discovered that I need an
> entry in my /etc/hosts of the form:
>
> 	Ipaddress	fqdns		shortname
>
> Example:
>
> 	10.4.1.243	ultra.mtlw2ktest.montreal.hcl.com	ultra
>
> I don't understand why but someone suggested this and that was the
> trick.

For a minute I didn't understand this either, but
I see this /etc/hosts is on the server host, not
on the client host.  That's true, your /etc/hosts
on any host should list its full name first, because
that's how the host knows its own name, and it must
know itself as it's known to other hosts on the network
for Kerberos to work right.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu