gss_accept_sec_contextand channel binding in ftp

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 14:51:55 EDT 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:

> P It's authenticated.  So if both sides use it then it will be
> verified and required to be correct.
>
> As I consider the current behavior more I don't like the MIT server's
> tendency to discard client channel bindings though.  I believe a
> server should be able to require channel bindings.

If I remember the history behind this change in behavior correctly,
it went something like this.  NATs were causing connections between
otherwise authenticated parties to fail when used with GSS channel
bindings.  Some GSS implementations (MS SSP) did not even support
channel bindings.  This made it impossible for many clients to even
establish connections with GSS enabled servers such as FTP.

It would be impossible for the Kerberos team to get all server
implementations to stop specifying the channel bindings but we could
cause the interpretation of them to become optional.  This would allow
clients which did not support or specify channel bindings to be able
to authenticate to the servers and get work done.

Channel bindings would still be required to be correct if both the
client and server specified them.

I agree that there does need to be some mechanism by which channel
bindings can be specified and they can be considered to be mandatory.
This appears to currently be outside the bounds of the current GSSAPIv2
specification and is something that should be discussed on the
ietf-cat-wg at lists.stanford.edu mailing list in conjunction with the
upcoming Kitten work.

Jeffrey Altman