about step-by-step guide to Kerberos 5 Interoperability

Lara Adianto m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 07:20:28 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have some questions about the guide to setup the
windows 2000 workstation to authenticate to MIT KDC,
found in step-by-step guide to Kerberos 5
Interoperability document. It works fine, but I don't
really understand the purpose of doing some of the
steps. So, I hope somebody can shed me some lights

1. ksetup /setmachpassword password
If we don't do this, the user can't login although on
the KDC site, it seems that AS-REQ is being granted.
Why ?

2. Why do I need to add the user in the local machine
(windows) in order for it to be able to authenticate
to MIT KDC, although actually the username (or the
principal in this case) is already added in the KDC ?

Thanks,
lara

=====
La vie, voyez-vous, ca n'est jamais si bon ni si mauvais qu'on croit
                                                                        - Guy de Maupassant -