RBAC and Kerberos?

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Thu Jun 3 04:24:18 EDT 2004

Christopher,

I am currently working with OASIS SSTC to progress Kerberos/SAML
integration standards.

If you can explain to me in a bit more detail off-list how you think
SAML and Kerberos should work together I will be able to let you know if
our current work in OASIS covers your needs.

Thanks,

Tim Alsop

-----Original Message-----
From: kerberos-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:kerberos-bounces at mit.edu] On
Behalf Of Nebergall, Christopher
Sent: 03 June 2004 00:06
To: 'Digant Kasundra'; bart.w.jenkins; kerberos at mit.edu
Subject: RE: RBAC and Kerberos?

>>>Kerberos fits in best as an AuthN system.  It can very easily tie
into
LDAP which can support your AuthZ needs.

This is true within a single enterprise.   LDAP support for
authorization
becomes more difficult once you are talking about federation between
different organizations.  It requires you to expose your directory
server
outside your internal firewall and for partner site(s) to have intimate
knowledge of your directory schema.  In the web authentication world
SAML
was developed to ease some of these some of these burdens by defining a
language to share attributes more easily. Does anyone know if there is
research to use SAML and Kerberos together (SAML as the PAC data)?

Christopher Nebergall