gunzip and the Kerberos distributions

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 2 15:29:29 EDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 08:44, Steven M. Wheeler wrote:
> Interesting, when I right click them they show the extension tar.gz
> and that is how they download.  I will re-download as just .tar and
> try again.

Unless the download was actually corrupted, you can probably just
rename the files you already downloaded.  In fact, tar will probably
operate quite happily on a file with a .gz suffix just as it would any
other tar file.  (You probably should rename it, because the incorrect
name you've got now might conflict with one of the files you'll be
extracting from the tar file.)

> BTW: Is there an ftp site I can get these from?

Not so far as I know; we only distribute our releases through our web
site.  There may be sites mirroring us.  Some vendors incorporate our
code into their releases, so there may be files available from their
distribution mechanisms, which may include ftp.  But be careful
searching for versions on the net -- we've heard of one or two
incidents of modified versions out there with security holes introduced
(gotten from "someone on IRC").

Ken