gunzip and the Kerberos distributions

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 2 01:16:19 EDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 15:51, Steven M. Wheeler wrote:

> I have downloaded both
>
> krb5-1.3.3-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> krb5-1.3.3.tar.gz
>
> and am unable to get gunzip to recognize either one.  When I try i get
> the following error: not in gzip format

Our web site has tar files, not gzipped files.  The tar files *contain*
gzipped files and PGP signature files of the gzipped files, but since
the tar file combining them isn't particularly compressible, we don't
bother.

So, which files are you trying to uncompress, the (already
uncompressed) tar files downloaded from MIT, or the gzipped files
contained within them (and not directly accessible for downloading as
your message seems to imply)?

Ken