Why Kerberos named

Carl Farrington carl at 000compsup000.net.invalid
Fri Jul 2 17:33:42 EDT 2004

"M.safa" wrote:
> Please tell me :
> -Why this protocol named Kerberos?
> - And how Work?

As David has said, you should read the Kerberos FAQ, or most definately you
should read "Designing an Authentication System:
a Dialogue in Four Scenes". This is excellent reading. I only wish I could
find more writings of this nature instead of the usual technical books.

The name Kerberos is used because it is the name of the three-headed watch
dog in Greek mythology. Most people know of this dog as being called
Cerberus, but this is actually the Roman (Latin) tranlation of the correct
and original Greek name, Kerberos.