Kerberos vs. LDAP for authentication -- any opinions?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jan 29 09:45:27 EST 2004

cyberp70 at yahoo.com wrote:

> At the risk of starting a religious war....
>
> We currently use Kerberos for authentication for almost everything
> on our network.  Some people here are advocating switching to using
> LDAP for authentication (we already have a pretty well developed LDAP
> infrastructure).  This would of course require everyone to change
> their password as well the trauma of recoding applications that
> currently use Kerberos and haven't been converted to using PAM.

What is the real situation.

  Are these people application developers  who find it easier to just
  ask for a user and password then call LDAP?

  Are they looking at the lack of Kerberos in the browser, and so
  find the easiest way is to just prompt for a user and password?

  Are they application developers who want additional authorization data
  which is store in LDAP which Kerberos can not provide?

Many of the Browser issues can be addressed by Kx509 from the
Univrsity of Michigan. It can obtain a short term X509 certificate
using Kerberos for authenticaiton. The certificate and key are then
stored so the browser can use it with SSL to any web server. It works
with IE and Netscape on Windows. It runs on UNIX and Mac as well.
  http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/kerb_pki/

Once authenticated, LDAP can still be used for authorization data.