Kerberos vs. LDAP for authentication -- any opinions?

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Wed Jan 28 16:20:00 EST 2004

Harry, others,

The SASL/GSS mechanism supported by the LDAP server is used to securely access the directory. Using SASL/GSS and LDAP does not help authenticate a user so he/she can use an application which then presents the users identity to another application components in a secure manner - this is one of the many requirements for application security which Kerberos is idealy suited.

I think we need to compare the LDAP directory and Kerberos protocol in order to answer the original question asked. Admitedly, if SASL/GSS is used to securely access a directory so that a password can be read and compared, then LDAP can be used to authenticate a user.

I have provided a short list of some differences, not necessarily a complete list so maybe others on this email discussion can add comments and think of other important differences ?

LDAP server for user authentication
- can be used to store password + other information about users.
- useful for simple user authentication requirements where checking of password is all that is required.

Kerberos for user authentication
- uses security credentials which have a lifetime - LDAP does not have this capability
- built in prevention from network replay attacks and protect against other network security concerns - LDAP does not protect against these issues
- removes the need to pass any form of password across a network - LDAP requires password transmission
- A protocol that alows support for userid/password, token card, smart card authentication and other forms of user authentication - LDAP is only suited to userid/password
- works well in a client/server and multi-tier environment especially when using credential delegation or impersonation
- can be used to setup a security context between application components on the network - LDAP cannot be used for this.
- provide mutual authentication, integrity, confidentiality services - LDAP does not do any of these
- makes single signon easy, especially since Microsoft Active Directory does the Kerberos authentication when a user logs onto a MS network
- works well in a heterogeneous environment
- supported and utilised by a growing number of application vendors and standards
- a strategic protocol in many ways because of having many uses - it can even be used very effectively to allow an unattended application to authenticate itself to another application (e.g. ftp -> ftpd).

Thanks, Tim.