Smartcard logon using Unix KDC

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Tue Jan 27 03:11:51 EST 2004

Robert,

As you have discovered, if you want to use the Windows GINA/WinLogon/SSP provided by Microsoft and logon via a UNIX KDC with a smart card you first need to make the workstation a member of a domain. The only solution I can think of is to develop a new gina which supports pkinit and bypasses the Microsoft code that does the same job - this will then work when workstation is not a member of a domain. We have done this on Windows NT, but our Win2k/XP product does not yet replace the gina. We are planning to address this requirement in the future, so I would be interested to find out how successful you are ?

Thanks,Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Prágai Róbert [mailto:pragai at rubin.hu]
Sent: 27 January 2004 08:03
To: Tim Alsop
Cc: kerberos at MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Smartcard logon using Unix KDC

Hi Tim,

    I use Heimdal KDC, which has a PKINIT extension. Although it works just in the Kerberos client - Windows KDC way with Windows, we plan (with Daniel Kouril) to extend its functionalities to work in the opposite direction, too. But the basic problem is that the Windows workstation assumes that if the logon is not a domain logon, then it cannot be a PKINIT logon as well. Maybe I should change the Kerberos SSP... (You probably have the right answer at Cybersafe :-)

thanks,
Robert