OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MIT Kerberos

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 26 14:23:34 EST 2004

I don't disagree with your proposal at all.  Sounds good.  It should
make it easier to fix/change things in the future.

But. . .

Isn't the reason this keeps coming up that AFS client doesn't
(can't?) behave like a normal Kerberos application and just get it's
own service ticket when it needs one (based on an existing tgt)?  The
real reason this doesn't happen is that tickets are stored in a file
in /tmp, but it's a different set of file system code inside the
kernel that would need to access it to request the service ticket.

Can't we figure a way to just make the kernel module get the service
ticket (token) automatically, or fail if there is no tgt?  That would
make the whole problem go away and AFS would no longer need the
special attention it does now.

I note that on MacOS X tickets are stored in a MACH "security
context" which acts a lot like a PAG.  Furthermore it's accessible
inside the kernel.  Doesn't Windows have some similar in-memory
storage mechanism?

Has anyone thought about how congruent PAGs and terminal sessions
are?  I think X11 defined the latter, and Kerberos has tried to tie
in to them rather than import the PAG concept.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu