[OpenAFS-devel] OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MITKerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Jan 26 14:19:40 EST 2004

Andrei Maslennikov wrote:

> We have implemented the strategy similar to the one that Douglas suggested
> in his posting. In our case (Heimdal) we allow user to login using his/her
> K5 password and then call Heimdal "afslog" inside session.c:
>
>         system("/usr/sshutils/sbin/afslog >/dev/null 2>&1");

Yes this is just the type interface that could simplify the OpenSSH code.
What the OpenAFS comunity needs to decied is what is needed for the
common interface.

> A small complementary trick (sshd is invoked via inetd/xinetd with "-i"
> flag from within the pagsh wrapper) allows the token to be obtained
> automatically in a brand-new pagsh. All this works with the protocol 2,
> and users obtain both K5 tickets and PAG-based tokens upon login. Apart
> from just one extra system call, no code hacking is needed for OpenSSH.

Nice trick. But if the AFS kernel code supports -setpag by the afsklog
or aklog to set the parent's prooces this would not be needed.

> What we were yet unable to achieve is the further K5 credentials
> forwarding in case of login via the K5 password. What happens is the
> following:
>
>   1) ssh to host A, login with K5 password (and obtain a PAG-based token)

Was the ticket marked forwardable?  Can you set with Hiemdal in the
krb5.conf file a default that tickets should be forwardable?
What does klist -f show on host A?

>   2) from host A, ssh to host B, login w/o pw (this time with GSSAPI)

GSSAPI should have delegated a K5 credential, and set the KRB5CCNAME
on host B.

>   3) inside host B: no K5 creds forwarded from host A, no token.

We can do the above but normally get the initial ticket on the local
workstation at login or via kinit. We try not to require uses to ever
send thier Kerberos password over the network.

But in our case we let PAM on A get the ticket and are using the
MIT Kerberos. Can you set with Hiemdal in the krb5.conf file a default

 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439
 (630) 252-5444