Multiple domain referral patch and Kerberos 1.3.1

Harvey Kramer hkramer at anovasolutions.com
Mon Jan 19 11:19:18 EST 2004

Hi,

I really need help with MIT Kerberos interoperability with Windows
networks and I would really appreciate it if you could give me a hand.
We have Apple Mac OS X (v.10.3) computers with Panther OS; according to
MIT Kerberos Mac OS X Panther has built in MIT Kerberos 1.3.1. On the
other side we have a windows 2000 network with multiple domains.

Currently, only AD users belonging to the same domain as the Mac
computer can log on.
We need our AD users to authenticate and login on our Mac computers
that belong to different domains. I was surprised to see that our Macs
could authenticated in multiple domains when the option is available in
the AD plug-in.

I have heard about the referral patch but I though it was not necessary
for MIT Kerberos 1.3.1 because in the AD plug-in there exists an option
of authentication in multiple domains (this can be appreciated in the
screen picture).

Could you tell me if it is necessary for me to apply the referral
patch. If this patch is really necessary, where could I download a
copy? If so, can it be compiled on Mac OS X seamlessly? Are there any
caveats I should know about?

Thank you in advance.
Harvey Kramer