Windows 2003 and kvno in tickets

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jan 15 10:06:08 EST 2004

I was hoping someone knew how the Windows admin could find the kvno in AD.
The MS 2000 ktpass -kvno says you can add it, but it is not clear if this
updates the AD or is only used to create a keytab file. Our Windows
admins says the 2003 ktpass is not out yet.

The MIT kvno shows the keys, but that is from the client side.

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 14, 2004 16:22:09 -0600 "Douglas E. Engert"
> <deengert at anl.gov> wrote:
>

> > We recently upgraded one of our Windows AD servers to 2003. We have a
> > number of service principals registered in AD which are for services run
> > on UNIX. Some users where having problems using these services.
> >
> > It appears that 2003 AD now supports key version numbers in tickets. The
> > upgraded server is issuing tickets with kvnos other then zero, while the
> > others are always using zero.
> >
> > It is not clear where it got the kvno to use, as the entries where all
> > added  prior to the upgrade, and I don't recall entring in these kvnos in
> > the ktpass  command when we defined these principals.
> >
> > We have not found the AD command to look at what kvno is in the AD.
> > Anyone know the command?
>
> No, but you should be able to use 'kvno' or 'kgetcred' followed by 'klist
> -v' to get a service ticket and display the kvno used in that ticket.

I don't see in the MIT klist code a -v. Is that Hiemdal?