Fwd: Re: Kerberos error authenticating from Unix to Windows AD

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Feb 19 14:19:19 EST 2004

Tyson Oswald wrote:

> Tyson Oswald <oswaldt at ameritech.net> wrote: I generated a host key on the a Windows server and installed it on the Sun workstation with ktutil.  The key was generated with the same password as the user on windows.  It was setup with DES-CBC-CRC enctype, also krb5.conf is setup to use des-cbc-crc for both tkt and tgs.  One thing I did do was when I FTPed the host key to the Sun box I used binary instead of ascii, if that caused a problem I do not know. If you think this could cause this issue I will re-copy it.

Anyother way to do it is when you run the ktpass /out ...
it will type out the entry on the console, and show the kvno and the
DES key in hex.

You can then use the ktutil   "addent -key" and type in the DES key in
hex on the UNIX system. This avoids any string-to-key problems, as well
as any transfer problems.

If nothing else you cold verify if the key and kvno is as expected
by using klist -k -K ...