AD MIT Interoperability rc4-hmac

rousset denis.rousset at cea.fr
Thu Feb 19 03:19:55 EST 2004

Here is my problem explained accuratly:

Interoperability between W2K AD domain and Kerberos MIT KDC.

We try to log on a W2Kpro workstation member of an AD domain (ex :
MICROSOFT.COM) with a MIT principal (user at MIT.COM)

Encryption type we choose is RC4-HMAC and we want to use Pre-auth.

Implementation:

Cf: kerberos step by step -->
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/kerbsteps.asp
section "Setting Trust with a Kerberos Realm"

A cross realm relationship is set up between MICROSOFT.COM et MIT.COM.
user at MICROSOFT.COM is mapping user at MIT.COM

Here is the configuration of user at MIT.COM:

Principal: user at MIT.COM
Expiration date: [never]
Last password change: Wed Feb 11 11:01:53 MET 2004
Password expiration date: [none]
Maximum ticket life: 15 days 00:00:00
Maximum renewable life: 15 days 00:00:00
Last modified: Wed Feb 11 11:01:53 MET 2004 (root/admin at MIT.COM)
Last successful authentication: [never]
Last failed authentication: [never]
Failed password attempts: 0
Number of keys: 3
Key: vno 1, ArcFour with HMAC/md5, no salt
Key: vno 1, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
Policy: [none]

Problem:

We can’t log on the Workstation with this configuration (CF logs)
test1: If PRE_AUTH is disabled for user at MIT.COM, it works.
test2: If PRE_AUTH is enabled, but only encryption type des-cbc-crc for
user at MIT.COM, it works

Questions:

Is it possible to make this configuration work with both Pre-auth
enabled and encryption rc4-hmac on MIT’s side?
If not, keeping the same configuration for MIT’s principal, is it
possible to force the W2K workstation to use des-cbc-md5 as default
encryption type at logon and not rc4-hmac for the MIT.COM realm?

Annexes:
Windows error logs:
Type de l'événement : Erreur
Source de l'événement : Kerberos